How To Get Rid Of The Annoying WordPress Update Nag
As you probably know, the latest version of WordPress (2.6) was just released a few days ago. These are just a few of the many blogs that have blogged about it so far:
- ForTheLose – WordPress 2.6 – Good or Bad?
- The University Kid – Do Not Upgrade To WordPress 2.6!
- Daily Blog Tips – WordPress 2.6 Is Out
- Snoskred – WordPress 2.6 Warning – DO NOT upgrade.
If you are using WordPress and have decided not to update just yet, I’m sure you know how annoying that update nag in the dashboard is! Since nobody bothered to figure out how to get rid of it (or maybe someone did but didn’t feel like sharing with the rest of the blogosphere ), I took the liberty of experimenting myself and successfully removed it.
Just follow the following steps to set your dashboard free!
1. Use any FTP program (FileZilla recommended ) to download the update.php file located in the”wp-admin/includes” directory
2. Use a text editor (Notepad++ recommended ) to open the file and find “update-nag”
3. Get rid of this entire line: echo “<div id=’update-nag’>$msg</div>”;
4. Enjoy a nag-free WordPress!
By the way, this method is 100% safe and has been tested by me, however, I am not responsible for any damage occurring as a result of following my steps.
Be sure to subscribe to my feed for more great tips like this!